Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help starting my smart home project
Hello everyone,

I am looking to get some answers on how to start planning for a smart home in North America.
Our power supply here is 120V 60hz and we currently have a Siemens Breaker Panel.

According to the Electrical Code a power distribution box needs CSA approval (Canada).

Can I use the Kincony box with 16 channels?

I would like to control lights and a few outlets.
The electrician is pulling new dedicated wires for the lights I would like to control individually.

The standard cables we use here are 14/2 Romex.

Can I install the kincony box in between the breaker box and wiring of the house?

What type of cable do I connect to kincony box, regular 14/2 romex? 

I would like to use the following as well:
Sensors for gas leak
Sensors for water level
Sensors for humidity and temperature
Sensors for motion
Sensors for contact at doors and windows

Do you know where to buy for good price and good quality that would work with kincony system?

Can the sensors be hardwired or are there wireless options?
How many of them can I use? 3x water sensors & 3 gas sensors?

Side question
What is the best camera to use for local recording with Ethernet powered capabilities? 
Maybe used with NAS?

I am also looking for light switches that could work with kincony system. Minimalistic but intelligent functionality like dimming and programmable.

I hope someone can help me walk in the right direction.
Thank you.
hello.
relay controller can work for AC110V or AC220V all is no problem. Suggest you can add a smart DB behind of your main power distribution box. Make a DB that smart control load. also you need to add AC contactor (if you use AC110V, just chose AC110V AC contactor is ok), because relay controller control AC contactor ON/OFF, not connect to load directly. So your lamp and socket is connect to your AC contactor.

we have a diagram for smart DB diy, I think will help you.
here is link: https://www.kincony.com/download/Smart-P...el-DIY.pdf

kincony relay box connect to AC contactor's line current is low, you can use diameter 1.5mm is ok. AC contactor output line with circuit break(MCB) that need thick,it's up to your load current or breaker's MAX current.

sensors you can connect to KC868-COLB logical controller.
you can chose kincony product online store: https://kincony.aliexpress.com/store/807891

use wired sensor is better. KC868-COLB MAX support 16 digital input sensor + 16 analog input sensor + 5 temperature sensor(-55 ℃ --- 125 ℃)

About the IP camera , I think you can chose "hikvision" products, also have NVR. you can use his system for monitor video and see video record.

if you want to use simple program for define light and dimmer, you can chose KC868-D8 dimmer controller work with KC868-COLB, that can set logical function by PC software, just use mouse click for automatic setting in graphic UI.
Hello admin,

Thank you for your reply.
We are currently wiring my home.

What type of wire do I need to pull to the light switch?
All walls are open and we can wire it now before the drywall goes up.

Please let me know what to watch out for at this stage.

Thank you.
Chose wall switch panel (self-reset type), use CAT5 to "switch terminal board". if one wall switch is 6 key buttons (you need 6+1=7 line, so the CAT5 lines have 8,use 7 is ok). here is diagram details for whole home automation: https://www.kincony.com/download/KinCony...lution.pdf
Does the box have CSA approval for the Canadian market?
All parts that are connected to the electrical grid have to have CSA approval otherwise the inspector won’t approve the construction.

Thank you so much for your help so far!
no CSA, this is for DIY.
Hi samoth, I had the same problem, on the advice of a friend, I just installed an additional sensor, and then synchronized it through Alex, and everything worked. As a result, I got a completely connected home. This approach has one big plus, since you will order additional sensors in any case, you can immediately order several innovative sensors, for example, a climate control sensor.